Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"The Corner Store"


"The Corner Store"
8 x 10 print from acrylic painting $30
My brother called me the other day and we began reminiscing about our growing up years in Loyall, Kentucky, which is in the famous or infamous Harlan County Kentucky. The corner shown here is a print I did from an old photo taken about 1958 or maybe even earlier. I added the car, which I think is a'58 Chevy. I graduated from Loyall High School in 1958, and one of my classmate's husband asked me to paint The Corner Store for his wife for Christmas a few years ago. When he met her, he had a car like the one I put in the painting. If you click on this painting you can see two girls standing by the side of the drug store and one of them became his wife.
The Corner Store was the meeting place of all the kids in town and we ate many a chili bun there, sundaes, and cokes! Mrs. Stanaford, the proprietor of the drug store made the best chili I have ever tasted and I tried for years to get her recipe, to no avail! She is still living and looks exactly the same as she did in 1958! ! Next to the Corner Store was the Loyall theater where you could see a double feature plus cartoons and a serial for only 15 cents if you were under 14 and 40 cents if you were over that. What a bargain! Chili buns were 15 cents, cokes a nickle. Is this aging me??? Well, I digress.
I had prints made, with permission from the owner of the painting, and I have a few if you happen to want one. This would make a very inexpensive Christmas gift if you happen to be from the area of Harlan County Kentucky! Or even if you, too, experienced a small town with a drug store meeting place!
Now! DRUM ROLL, PLEASE. It is time to announce the winner of my painting give away!
The names of all followers were put in a hat and one was drawn out by an disinterested party and the winner is KAREN. Thank each of you for being a follower and I wish all could have won, but I will be having another give away in future, so please keep looking. I appreciate all of you.
Karen will receive her painting "The Yearling" soon and also a book by that same name. Thanks again to all who look at my blog.

1 comment:

  1. THRILLED THAT I WON THE PAINTING! THE OLD CORNER STORE IN LOYALL IS STILL THERE, BUT SO MANY CHANGES. THIS BRINGS BACK A LOT OF MEMORIES!

    ReplyDelete