Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Monday, December 13, 2010

12 Days of Christmas--Favorite paintings--Count Down

"Quilter and Pin Cushion"
18 x 24 egg tempera on masonite, framed $600

She's a woman who has seen many years and many things. Her face is etched with wrinkles and her eyes show wisdom. Painted from a photo of a quilter at a quilt show in Appalachia, this is one of my favorite paintings I have done. I love working with egg tempera, layering, using a sponge at times and then using a thin brush for details. The pin cushion and post on the right balance the figure on the left. I like the composition and the colors. Click on it to see the details. What a nice gift this would make for Christmas! There is still time, but only if you hurry. Keep warm! Eleven Days til Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Love this painting. So much detail. I can see love, fatique, worries and many more emotions in her face. Also when you spoke of dabbing, it make me think of the baptistry scenes you used to paint here in Harlan and you would let me use a brush to "dab" the leaves on the trees. I thought I was really doing something great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it made me think...not make me think"
    I don't know if it's my typing or my grammar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I remember painting baptistries in Harlan many years ago. I wonder if the one you are talking about is still there? The one in Loyall at Calvary Baptist was there the last time I visited, but they built a new church. I heard they were going to keep that wall, move it to the new church. I wonder.....

    ReplyDelete