Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Old Log House, Pine Mountain"


"Old Log House, Pine Mountain" $150 SOLD
8 x 10 acrylic on panel
I really love this painting! I loved doing it! It evokes wonderful memories of growing up in Harlan County, Ky. and the many trips we made over Pine Mountain to Pine Mountain Settlement School. My parents met when they were students at Pine Mountain Settlement School and they loved the school and told many, many stories about the things they did there, what they learned, everything from sleeping in winter on unheated sleeping porches, to peeling potatoes in the kitchen! It was a boarding school for mountain children and a very fine one. This cabin, called Old Log House was at the entrance to the school and was built there by a Metcalf man possibly around 1850. I always loved visiting it and visiting the school to see where my parents went. I found a photo my mother had, and painted this from it. What could be more beautiful than a rustic cabin set in among the Fall trees?
Click on it to see the details. Please register as a follower to be entered in the painting give away on Dec. 1st. If you are new to my blog, look at my older posts. I have posted many, many paintings since March.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS PAINTING. REMINDS ME OF ALL THE WEDDINGS WE DID AT THE PINE MOUNTAIN SCHOOL CHAPEL AND THE RECEPTIONS AT THE LAUREL HOUSE...SEEMS LIKE A LIFETIME AGO. YOUR BLOG IS WONDERFUL. I ENJOY YOUR ART WORK SO MUCH. I REALLY NEED TO GET OTHERS HERE IN HARLAN TO FOLLOW..WILL WORK ON THAT!

    ReplyDelete