Flower Pots at Heathcote

Flower Pots at Heathcote
9x12 acrylic on canvas

Tuesday, June 8, 2010


"Ocean Treasures"
6 x 6 watercolor on Arches paper, $50
This small painting was so much fun to do! I sketched in the shells first, then using tracing paper, I traced the sketch, cut out the shapes and laid them on top the shell sketches. Then I used masking fluid to go around the edges, securing the tracing paper down. I painted a wash of darkish blue for the water and laid a piece of plastic wrap over it. I did the same with the sand using a medium strength burnt umber and laid a piece of
plastic wrap over it, manipulating it slightly. I let it
completely dry, then took off the plastic and Wow! I had all the gorgeous textures of water and sand! Then I removed the tracing paper and masking fluid and painted in the detailed shells. It was so much fun that now I am doing a companion piece with different shells. I will post it tomorrow. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment